RFC: Changing the documentation's font style.

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Fri Apr 12 12:51:04 UTC 2013

Isabell Long <issyl0 at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> I sent this idea to the #bsddocs IRC channel a few days ago and no-one
> there objected, but here you go. I'd like to know your opinions on the
> documentation font being changed from serif to sans-serif. This would
> only affect the web-based docs, not the ones being prepared for print.
>
> An example of this is at
> http://tau.devrandom.co.uk/issyl0/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ ,
> and a diff of my very simple changes is at
> http://tau.devrandom.co.uk/issyl0/docs_font.diff
>
> In my opinion, it makes a hugely positive difference and modernises
> the look of the documentation set.

This introduces yet another absolute font size specification
which leads to rendering issues like:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=www/91539

While the consensus since 2006 seems to be that the affected users
should just suck it and use local workarounds, in my opinion as an
affected user it would be preferable not to make the rendering issues
even worse.

I don't mind the font style change itself.

Fabian