Need help documenting development processes in FreeBSD

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Apr 2 01:01:20 UTC 2013

On 1 April 2013 20:57, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     In order to bring contributors up to speed on how to interact with
> FreeBSD, I want to document some of the items that aren't really noted in
> the FreeBSD developers or committers handbook. Some topics that come to
> mind are "How do I do a precommit build?" (tinderbox, etc), "How do I test
> my changes?" (there's a chapter, but it's not helpful), "How do I get
> involved with the project?", "How do I build quickly?", "What are mtree
> files?", etc.

Awesome. I'd love to see this work.

>     I was wondering if a) there are any other developers interested in this
> effort, b) where it should go (in the dev handbook?), and

A few options

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books//dev-model/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books//developers-handbook/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/

My preference is #2.

> c) who would be
> interested in reviewing the work? I'd like to put it up on the wiki first
> (as I'm not an SGML wizard) and put it in SGML eventually, but I need
> feedback on whether or not this is doable.

I'll be happy to review, and I'll also be happy to make sure the final
work gets into the tree.
FWIW we use XML, not SGML, now, though there is little difference for
the author.

--
Eitan Adler