localization section needs updating?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Sep 17 21:43:19 UTC 2012

FreeBSD localisation is a topic I find
particularly hard to grasp. I come back
to it from time to time in an attempt
to figure out how to do it, but it's still
a mistery for me.

Anyway, a few specific questions about
the localization documentation:

- http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-localization.html
(by the way it gives "file not found" right now") still
mentions using cons** terminal types in /etc/ttys.
It seems these have been completely replaced by xterm.
Are the docs out of date here?

- there's no mention of UTF. I found an old
thread on TEKEN_* kernel option:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-July/009351.html
Is this still relevant? If yes, should this
be included in the localisation chapter,
or is this something completely separate?

My particular needs are reading and writing
russian either in text terminal or in X, or
both.

- I sometimes seem to set up my russian correct
enough to read and send russian mail in mutt.
Then somebody sends me mail supposedly in russian
but I can't read it. Is this something to do
with several different conflicting codepages,
something like koi8-r vs Windows-1251?
Is there a solution that will let me read
russian mail no matter what codepage the
sender used?

- Is there any localisation support for mail(1)?

Thanks

Anton