The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:14:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 21 November 2012 03:32, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
> <m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This document , when it started was very useful , but now it may be
> > considered not useful .
>
> Agreed.
>
> > My suggestion is the following :
> >
> > ( 1) One or more people having sufficient knowledge to modify it to
> satisfy
> > current needs
> >       handle this to rewrite its required parts to describe new
> > possibilities ( Samba , CUPS , etc. ) .
>
> This is key.  An updated document is essentially a rewrite. I don't
> think it is worth to keep the old document. If someone wishes to write
> an article with the new technologies we can help them with the markup
> and related work.
> I don't see how this article will help.
>

> > (2) The Handbook contains the following section :
> >

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-samba.html
> >
> > The modified document may be incorporated into this section and to other
> > suitable sections , and
> > in that way , it may be eliminated as an independent document and be made
> > living with the Handbook .
>
> Or we can just incorporate the new article directly into the handbook.
>

> --
> Eitan Adler

When we consider the chapter

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-servers.html

it is not necessary to maintain another document about networking just to
increase load
of people to maintain it .

For that reason , usable parts of this article may be incorporated into the
above chapter and information about the new networking state may be added
and this article may be eliminated completely .

If it is modernized and left alone , over time again it will become
outdated because it is very likely that it will not be utilized very much
as it is understood from its existent state . The Handbook is a
required and used document and it is continuously updated .

Actually , cooperation among contributors may be very useful in the
following sense :

Assume that a person has sufficient knowledge to rewrite some parts .
He or she prepares a plain text document containing the necessary
information . Another  person
knowing very well how to develop a web page , converts that text document
to a suitable
web page even he or she does not know semantics of the content .

It is difficult to find a person that knows "everything  well" and has
"time unlimited" .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk