removing the article about "how to set up CVS"

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 1 04:21:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012, Eitan Adler wrote:

> I'd like to remove
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvs-freebsd/article.html
>
> - its old
> - CVS will be eventually removed from base
> - no one should use CVS anymore anyways

I'm not convinced any of those are valid reasons to remove it.

> any objections?

Removing it because it is basically promoting the FreeBSD-specific CVS
hooks and scripts that we do not use any more (other than projects) as the
authoritative setup, would seem more reasonable.  I think that in some of
your other "kill (references to) CVS" campaigns you have devalued
cvs-projects too much, but here I feel less strongly.  That is because my
understanding is that we are recommending svn (whether user or project
areas) for *new* projects, and not actively trying to kill cvs projects.
People who are using cvs-projects and want something like it locally ought
to have a hat pointy enough to not need this document to do it.

-Ben Kaduk