no ptX device found

Lowell Gilbert lgusenet at be-well.ilk.org
Fri May 4 17:37:53 UTC 2012

Raoul "Mégélas" <rmgls at free.fr> writes:

> I dislike crossposting, but i have had no reply for this problem.
> Please have you any doc on this topic, i does not find
> anythikng in the man pages, nor in UPDATING.
> see below, the message posted on current.

I'm not running current, but I don't think that matters for this.
I'm guessing you haven't read the manual for pty(4)?

pty devices seem fairly obsolescent.

> On current, since about 3 months, no pty device is created.
> i see only a pts[0] in dev.
> screen (4.0.1, we cannot use a higher version, for good raisons)
> does not find any pty device and does not attach.
> How can i create at least one?

It should be created automatically when you try to access it.
If it's trying to examine the device before opening it, using stat()
or something similar might get the device to trigger.

> my ttys seems to have no effect. I am pretty sure i miss somemthing.
> In another hand, i see nothing in the man pages on this topic.

pty devices seem to only be present for backward compatibility, and I
don't see them actually needed on any of my systems.