gptboot and zfsboot

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jun 21 14:38:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 3:59:54 pm Warren Block wrote:
>> We have no man pages for gptboot or zfsboot.  Are the details of how
>> they work covered anywhere other than the source?  There's a need for
>> these.
>>
>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=32807
>> http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=32886
>
> Note that there is no boot2(8) manpage either.  Instead there is a boot(8)
> manpage.  I do think boot(8) does not currently handle gptboot and zfsboot (it
> should be fairly easy to update it for gptboot), but that is the right place
> to document these I believe.

boot(8) is kind of written around the standad boot1/boot2.  It will need
a rewrite to handle the others.  See the Files and Diagnostics sections
for what I mean; those are going to be different for each of the
different types.  There ought to be boot2.8, gptboot.8, and zfsboot.8
links to that page, too.

That's all doable, but it seems like a fair amount of work to combine
disparate things that would be better separately.

So maybe we should split the boot2 information out into boot2(8), create
a relatively-trivial gptboot(8) and a possibly-not-so-trivial
zfsboot(8).