Handbook mirroring section

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 4 09:32:25 UTC 2012

Hi Warren,

Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote
  in <alpine.BSF.2.00.1205220912060.52079 at wonkity.com>:

wb> On Thu, 17 May 2012, Warren Block wrote:
wb>
wb> > Summary: Handbook mirror example broken, new rewrite here, feedback
wb> > desired before commit.
wb>
wb> Updated:
wb>
wb> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/mirror/book.html
wb> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/mirror/geom-chapter.diff
wb>
wb> Changes include aligning partitions to 4K and some additional detail.

 I tried to rewrite to use the system drive and a new one based on
 your patch and a material which I used for an in-house training:

  http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/geom-mirror.html
  http://people.allbsd.org/~hrs/FreeBSD/geom-chapter.20120604-1.diff

 I think the most difficult part of this procedure is copying the
 partition table, but is this version still difficult for the average
 user?

 I intentionally removed labeling and alignment handling because I
 feel they are rather complex when explaining how to convert a
 single-disk system to one with a mirrored disk containing the exactly
 same layout and data, though I fully agree that they are also useful
 and important.  At least, labels of "alpha" and "beta" would be
 inefficient because "gmirror status" does not show the labels as the
 provider names, and gmirror member disks are recognized even if
 /dev/ada0 is moved to /dev/ada6, for example.

-- Hiroki