Please review WINE chapter addition and linuxemu rename

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 4 00:59:54 UTC 2012

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> in the process of adding the WINE section from the wiki to the handbook
> (GCIN 2011 project, yeah I know, I was rather busy ...), I also took the
> liberty of renaming it from linuxemu to compat. Also in the hope that
> someday we might have a blurp on SVR4 compatibility, although I guess no
> one is really interested in that.
>
> Anyway, please review the proposed changes at
> https://github.com/uqs/freebsd-doc/commits/wine
> or clone that branch and have a closer look.

2b3e8a6403909cdc752833e9c8b4f9196be9efe1 ("Move the linux section one
level down, add (empty) wine section.") seems to also include some
whitespace changes.

In c89922e4d1e23acfe93eff9ae23cebbb9a93203a ("Add WINE section from
wiki.freebsd.org"):

         1353  +    such things. Hence, the contraction of "Wine Is Not an Emulator."

I do not think that 'contraction' is the best word here; I think that
'acronym' might be better (as "acronym from").

   	1355 +    <para>Wine requires LDT support, but it is not available on RELENG_7 and
   	1356 +    earlier versions. However, it works fine on versions 8.2 and 9.0 or newer.

You probably want to specify that this is versions of FreeBSD (i.e. &os;),
and maybe only use the word 'versions' once and &os; for later
appearances.

   	1359 +    comes quite cleanly from a "make install clean" command while in the wine
   	1360 +    directory of ports; for how well individual applications work, check the

In addition to Glen's fix, I would just say "while in <filename
class="directory">ports/emulators/wine</filename>".

   	1362 +    website. Wine does not work out of the box on amd64 system. However, with a

Should be "systems" plural.

   	1364 +    amd64 system (Diablo 2 works just fine). The following list is not
   	1365 +    minimal, as I tried several different paths before I got one working.

We really don't like to use the first person in our documentation ("I");
it would also be nice to attempt to turn the list into a minimal one
before finalizing the document.

Skipping the programlisting (please do heed Warren's comments),

   	1402 +    <para>For sound in Diablo 2 to work, run winecfg and set acceleration

winecfg should be in <command> markup.

   	1403 +    to "Emulation" (see Known Problems section above) then run "wine32

<quote> would probably be good here, too (I think this is what Glen meant
instead of "?).

   	1404 +    Game.exe." The problem seems to lie in the differences between OSS and

The command to run should be marked up using <userinput> and maybe in a
<screen> block, too.

   	1405 +    ALSA

Full stop at end of sentence.

   	1406 +    </para>
   	1407 +    <para>3D acceleration is working with the 64bit nvidia driver provided

The document should be internally consistent about "32 bit" vs "64bit" vs
"64-bit" (I prefer the latter form, myself), but the first two appear in
this change.

I thought there was an &nvidia; entity that should be used here but I
can't find one; it is usually capitalized either nVidia or NVIDIA or
NVidia elsewhere in the tree.

This is x11/nvidia-driver, right?  That should probably be mentioned
explicitly.

   	1408 +    that you install the 32bit version (same version number) into the

This is the 32-bit version of nvidia-driver (as opposed to, say, wine),
right?

-Ben Kaduk

   	1409 +    chroot (tested with World of Warcraft, 8.0-RELEASE).