docs/164682: Handbook contains wrong information about Flash players

Glen Barber gjb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 1 04:56:22 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 04:16:02AM +0000, Adam VandeMore wrote:
> This page contains the following section:
> The Linux® process file system, linprocfs(5) has to be mounted on /compat/linux/proc, if one wants to play Flash animations. This can be done via the following command:
>
> # mount -t linprocfs linproc /compat/linux/proc
>
> This point can be automated at boot time with the addition of the matching line in /etc/fstab:
>
> linproc	/compat/linux/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0
>
> This information doesn't seem to be necessary as Flash plays fine without it mounted.  If it isn't necessary, it's a potential security threat.
> >How-To-Repeat:
> Use flash player without linprocfs mounted.
> >Fix:
> Remove the unneeded text:
>
> The Linux® process file system, linprocfs(5) has to be mounted on /compat/linux/proc, if one wants to play Flash animations. This can be done via the following command:
>
> # mount -t linprocfs linproc /compat/linux/proc
>
> This point can be automated at boot time with the addition of the matching line in /etc/fstab:
>
> linproc	/compat/linux/proc	linprocfs	rw	0	0

I believe this is still true for FreeBSD 7.x, with the Flash plugin that
is available in Ports.  If this is not the case, I'd be happy to adjust
this Handbook entry to match reality, or otherwise note that it is
FreeBSD 7.x-specific.

Glen