[RFC] Q&A propose to add into FAQ

Alexander Yerenkow yerenkow at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:24:31 UTC 2012

2012/12/19 Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com>

> On 19 December 2012 10:47, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Seems good to me. Maybe there should be added for curious ones ( If you
> need
> > more info why is that - you should read about copy-on-write and
> transactions
> > in ZFS).
>
> I have a pretty good idea of what might cause this behavior.  I'm not
> sure how technical the FAQ should be.  On one hand this type of thing
> *should* be documented.  On the other hand, the FAQ is aimed at
> end-users, not developers.
>
> Can you write some proposed content and maybe we can talk some/all of it?

Sure, my try (Feel free to adapt/fix my non-native language):

<qandaentry>
<question id="zpool-fully-full">
<para>I can't delete nor create any file on my ZFS disk. How can I fix
this?</para>
</question>

<answer>
<para>This could happen in case you filled it up to 100%. Since ZFS using
transactions for file manipulating, it can't delete any file in such case
(to delete something, there should be free space to write new transaction
with file deletion info, but there is no free space). This situation can be
confusing, but it's not helpless. In order to restore the zpool to a usable
state,
truncate the file you can afford to lost, e.g. some old log:</para>
<screen>&prompt.user; <userinput>truncate -s 0
<replaceable>unimportant-file</replaceable></userinput></screen>
<para>File truncation will work, since no new transaction made, but spare
blocks are created. After this, you can either delete unneeded files, or
remove unneeded snapshots (if any exists).</para>
</answer>
</qandaentry>

--
Regards,