www proxy evil

Simon L. B. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 18 19:02:39 UTC 2012

On 17 December 2012 11:11, Simon L. B. Nielsen <simon at freebsd.org> wrote:

> FYI, I'm going to put www to point to a varnish reverse proxy shortly.
> If you see any issues please let me know.
>
> The reason for this change is to make it simpler to gradually move www
> off red and to a new jail based setup. By doing it this way it will be
> much simpler to start with the simple stuff first.
>
> Initially all the requests will still be handled by red (current www)
> they will just go through the proxy first.
>
> We have been running with a varnish proxy in front of wiki, lists etc.
> for a while and it has worked very well.

www has been running behind the new varnish for > 24h and I haven't
seen or heard of any issues.

- lists.FreeBSD.org and svnweb.FreeBSD.org are now also proxied
through the new varnish.
- svnweb is being served from a new viewvc instance on the new main
webserver. Hopefully this should make it much faster especially for
the large ports repository as there is enough RAM to cache the entire
repo, and not other IO heavy things on the server to slow it down when
it needs to go to disk.

The new server (stream.FreeBSD.org) will not be a dumping ground like
the old (blue) was so it should consistently remain a lot faster.

Over the next couple of weeks my plan is to move as much as possible
of the old web infrastructure to stream, so if you see any issues
lasting more than a couple of minutes, please let me know.

For people into hardware porn (of the medium size), trimmed dmesg from stream:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5650  @ 2.67GHz (2666.82-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x206c2  Family = 0x6  Model = 0x2c
Stepping = 2
real memory  = 77309411328 (73728 MB)
avail memory = 74526130176 (71073 MB)
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 24 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 2 package(s) x 6 core(s) x 2 SMT threads

--
Simon L. B. Nielsen