http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.0R/installation.html

Dan Hulme dhulme at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 22:13:06 UTC 2012

It seems two things are missing from the update instructions, here.

1. First, is the issue that is mentioned here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2011-October/064321.html

First, a minor change must be made to the freebsd-update code in order
for it to accept file names appearing in FreeBSD 9.0 which contain the '%'
and '@' characters; without this change, freebsd-update will error out
with the message "The update metadata is correctly signed, but failed an
integrity check".

# sed -i '' -e 's/=_/=%@_/' /usr/sbin/freebsd-update

This information should be present in the installation instructions,
else users (like myself) on Freebsd 8.2 will not be able to update to
9.0.

2. Second, is the issue of the src tree disappearing.  The update
notifies us that the src tree will be removed, due to a change in the
"release packaging."  This is fine, but is there some reason
freebsd-update cannot download the sources on the next fetch?  Even
though freebsd-update.conf says to update src, it won't do it unless
there is a src tree present.  I recommend that the docs be updated to
explain how to get your src tree back (and up to date with the current
binaries from freebsd-update):

fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/9.0-RELEASE/src.txz
tar -C / -xvzf src.txz
rm src.txz
freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install

This is the first time I have used freebsd-update, and it is a great
utility!  I just would like to see the docs be detailed enough to make
it possible for users like me to use it.

Thanks!

Dan