man group

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Mon Apr 16 02:21:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

I would like to add one note to the man pages of group.

It is not clear when /etc/group is re-read after a change. As I understand the system behind, group is re-read by the system at the spot but it is ignored for all running processes until they are either restarted or the user logs on again. With other words, nothing changes for a user which is logged on.

It is not really clear to me how a change of /etc/groups affects a running process like apache even when it is restarted. Of course, I could try this but I think that this information should be in man group.

With other words, I would like to add one or two sentences to man group expressing this behaviour.

Just to be sure that this is correct, one question. Is there somebody who really knows how this is handled?

Erich