"Doing the deed" on portupgrade

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 12 09:49:39 UTC 2012

On 12 April 2012 09:24, Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc at fjl.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/04/2012 10:03, Joel Dahl wrote:
>>
>> On 12-04-2012  8:26, Chris Rees wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Even since its deprecation, portupgrade has proven to be very popular
>>> with newcomers, which I might be inclined to blame on the fact that
>>> the Handbook lists it first.
>>>
>>> Two patches:
>

>>> <snip>
>>>

>>> Rendered at http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/rendered/portupgrade.html
>>>
>>> Thoughts?  Anyone want to risk approving it?
>>
>> Good idea. I'd like to see Portmaster first in the list though, and not
>> Portmanager.
>>

> The text on the rendered version opens with "Portmanager is *another*
> utility for easy upgrading when it's now the first to be mentioned.

New patches, effectively reversing the order of the three:

http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/move-portupgrade2.diff

and then the content changes:

http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/deprecate-portupgrade2.diff (I
noticed my misspelling of portupgrade :/)

Rendered at:

http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/rendered/portupgrade2.html

> Not knowing very much about this system, I've always been a little confused
> by the multifarious options in the documentation like this. Listing them in
> order of preference would help but it'd be nice to start a section like this
> with the pros and cons of the various strategies about to be outlined . The
> reason for not using portupgrade is clear; Portmaster looks a good option
> because it implies it won't drag in every scripting language and module
> under the sun when you build it (according to the documentation posted). So
> why would anyone use Portmanager? (Incidentally, I have always used
> portupgrade, simply because it's first on the list).

Yes, this section does need improving a little.  My intention here is
to stop the plethora of people asking for support on portupgrade after
they've seen it in the Handbook listed first; you have just said that
the same happened to you :)

If you have such a list, it will be gladly received.

Chris