Appeal for updating the java page

Jack Tang jackhftang at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 17:59:01 UTC 2011

Hi ~ FreeBSD documentation team

First and foremost, if you find that any part of this letter is not of your responsibility,
I apologize for this and please kindly forward to those people who you know they are involved.

Long story short, I have encountered obstacles when installing jre and jdk in FreeBSD.

I have already solved the problem, but I think a little instruction could be posted so as to save time for newcomers.

First, the installation methods below are already outdated. None of them work (or not simply work)
http://www.freebsd.org/java/install.html
All of them told me to fetch some files from authorities,
but those files already have some bug fix, old version seems not available on the Internet.

After some searching, I found that an alternative is to download the packages from
http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/
Though it can be successfully installed, it cannot run.
A special configuration have to be done before installation, but this is not mentioned in any formal ways e.g. INSTALL file, download page....
A line "libz.so.4 libz.so.5" have to be added into /etc/libmap.conf in order to work.

Finally, I suggest that the page http://www.freebsd.org/java should be updated to include instruction of installing java.
Also I think java installation is important enough that worth a page in freebsd handbook.

Cheers

Jack Tang