docs/162154: Handbook section 6.4.2 misordering.

r. clayton rclayton at monmouth.edu
Sat Oct 29 16:50:09 UTC 2011

>Number:         162154
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Handbook section 6.4.2 misordering.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The two paragraphs

  As of version 7.3, Xorg can often work without any configuration file by
  simply typing at prompt:

    % startx

  Starting with version 7.4, Xorg can use HAL to autodetect keyboards and
  mice. The sysutils/hal and devel/dbus ports are installed as dependencies of
  x11/xorg, but must be enabled by the following entries in the /etc/rc.conf
  file:

    hald_enable="YES"
    dbus_enable="YES"

  These services should be started (either manually or by rebooting) before
  further Xorg configuration is attempted.

in section 6.4.2 of

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html

are in reverse order.  My experience has been running startx without enabling hald and dbus leaves me without a mouse or keyboard.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install xorg from ports, stop reading section 6.4 after the startx part, run startx.
>Fix:
It might be more accurate and helpful to flip the two paragraphs, something like

  Starting with version 7.4, Xorg can use HAL to autodetect keyboards and
  mice. The sysutils/hal and devel/dbus ports are installed as dependencies of
  x11/xorg, but must be enabled by the following entries in the /etc/rc.conf
  file:

    hald_enable="YES"
    dbus_enable="YES"

  These services should be started (either manually or by rebooting) before
  further Xorg configuration is attempted.

  As of version 7.3, Xorg can often work without any configuration file by
  simply typing at prompt:

    % startx

with suitable adjustments to the sentence starting "These services..." to
indicate that not only should these services be enabled before configuration,
but before using X11 at all.