Conversion to SVN

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Oct 22 04:00:12 UTC 2011

On 10/10/2011 10:01, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> /doc and /www would be the obvious choices. Ed even jokingly (??) said
>>
>> Well, that seems like a bit of a mess as you mainly have branches at that level...
>>
>>> we should just rename /head to /src ... not sure I concur.
>>
>> Considering we have stable etc. on the same level that seems like a bad thing to do...
>
> I agree with both of these.  The layout in svn currently is src-centric and
> only setup to handle src.

Right now under base/ we have:

cvs2svn
head
projects
release
releng
stable
svnadmin
user
vendor
vendor-crypto
vendory-sys
ROADMAP.TXT

Those categories are primarily source-related, but not exclusively.

> You would need to move the entire repo down into a
> new "src" directory for it to really work, but we aren't going to do that now.
> I think a separate SVN for doc+www is fine (and not near as much overhead to
> manage as Ulrich fears).

My primary motivating factor is not the administrative overhead, it's
the fact that elements from the doc repo are used as part of 'make
release.'

> Also, I think the discontinuous history idea is a compelling reason to not put
> the doc/www history into source svn.  Right now svn changes move forward
> continuously with time (so change N + 1 is "newer" than change N), but
> importing doc+www history as changes that are subsequent to the current top of
> tree would break that.  OTOH, renumbering the current tree to put the doc+www
> history in the "right" place is simply not workable now.

I don't understand any of what you wrote above, but I'd like to. What
I'm thinking is that the cvs->svn converter would simply start with the
next available revision number and that would be the first revision for
the oldest doc commit. When the import was done, the revision numbers
would continue to increase monotonically regardless of whether it was a
doc or src commit. Are you saying that this is not how it would work?

Doug

			-- OK Go