Conversion to SVN

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 7 23:25:09 UTC 2011

On 10/07/2011 10:38, Ulrich Spörlein wrote:

> I'm not sure that having a versioned handbook is such a good idea. I'd
> rather have one page/one source to go to for looking up how things are
> done. You immediately see what has changed between the releases and
> don't have to compare docs to see if doing foo on 9.0 works the same as
> on 8.3.
>
> I have no good idea on how to fit stuff like -CURRENT becoming a release
> into this scheme, however. Perhaps some special tags can be introduced
> that only make content visible, once we have released 9.0. That way you
> can write
>
> On FreeBSD 6.0 and below you have to use foo.
> On versions 7.x and 8.x you need to do bar.
> <magic>Starting with 9.0 you need to use baz.</magic>

I work with different versions of FreeBSD on a daily basis, so I agree
that having all of the information available in one place is a
tremendous benefit. But I think that you're on the right track with your
"magic tags" idea. I think it would be really cool to have all the info
for all the different versions in the same place, and have the default
be to include them all; but also have the ability to define something in
the environment so that you could include only the relevant bits if you
wanted to build the docs for a specific version. Ideally such a system
would also include minor versions for those rare situations that we
change a methodology within a branch.

Of course this is just talk, I don't have the time to actually make this
happen unfortunately, but perhaps someone else will be
interested/motivated to make it happen?

Doug

			-- OK Go