docs/162862: DESTDIR environment variable setting is not correct for apache22

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 06:10:12 UTC 2011

The following reply was made to PR docs/162862; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com>
To: Mniyardfa Jotawski <jotawski at gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-doc at freebsd.org, bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: docs/162862: DESTDIR environment variable setting is not correct
 for apache22
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 08:09:59 +0200

 --------------060207050906090607080501

 On 27/11/2011 5:33 πμ, Mniyardfa Jotawski wrote:

 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Manolis Kiagias
 > <sonic2000gr at gmail.com <mailto:sonic2000gr at gmail.com>> wrote:
 >
 >     On 26/11/2011 1:07 πμ, Mniyardfa Jotawski wrote:
 >>     2011/11/25 Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com
 >>     <mailto:sonic2000gr at gmail.com>>
 >>
 >>         Hi,
 >>

 >>     Hi,
 >>
 >>         The example is not specific to apache22 or in fact any
 >>         specific web server. You don't have to use apache to serve
 >>         FreeBSD web pages. The /usr/local/www is used as a common
 >>         preference (or hint) as /usr is the largest partition on most
 >>         FreeBSD systems following the default installation scheme.
 >>         You are supposed to know how to install / configure a web
 >>         server and adapt these instructions to your specific
 >>         installation.
 >>         IMHO, if we add apache specific information to this section
 >>         we will also have to add more sections describing  basic
 >>         configuration for serving the pages (like setting
 >>         DocumentRoot, encoding etc.). I believe these are out of
 >>         scope for this document.
 >>

 >>     I did agree with your opinion but since I specifically aimed to
 >>     apache2, as I wrote in my Problem Description: , that requires
 >>     that documents to serve should be in (or under) DocumentRoot
 >>     which is /usr/local/www/apache22.  But once I follow suggestion
 >>     in FDP Primer chapter 8.3, that installs all documents to
 >>     /usr/local/www/data.  In this case, I have to create apache22
 >>     subdirectory under what DESTDIR environment variable points to
 >>     and mv all data/ into that in order for my apache2 to start quietly.
 >
 >     What you would really need to do is change the DESTDIR shown in
 >     the example to:
 >
 >     env DESTDIR=/usr/local/www/apache22 make install
 >
 >     As I said, the example is not to be taken literally.  DESTDIR
 >     should be set to your own DocumentRoot (or whatever is called by
 >     the web server used) and not copied directly from fdp-primer.
 >

 >>     Anyway, I also see that there will be an endless Notes to mention
 >>     to the readers if we wrote to a  specific web-server like apache
 >>     as you said me.
 >>
 >>     May be that we put a few words to mention further  works after
 >>     ``make all install''  for some specific server or all documents
 >>     will have to be installed to ~/public_html/data otherwise.
 >>

 >     Not necessary if DESTDIR is set correctly beforehand
 >

 >>     Many thanks indeed for your time.
 >>
 >>     Apologized me for disturbing and apologized me for my English too.
 >>

 >     You are not disturbing, you are trying to make FreeBSD better! Thanks!
 >

 > Hi,
 >
 > All in all, I do agree with you but I found that the whole documents
 > will be placed under ~/public_html/data if  DESTDIR were not passed to
 > make command line.  Even one passed some value for DESTDIR to make
 > command line, the whole documents still be placed under
 > ${DESTDIR}/data regardless of any web servers used.
 >

 > Should a few words mention this to the readers ?
 >
 > Really apologized me indeed.  This is my limitation, my English.

> [...]

 Ah, I see your point now.  It's true, the actual install directory is
 $DESTDIR/data. I'll make sure this gets mentioned in the fdp-primer.

 Best,
 Manolis

 --------------060207050906090607080501

   <head>