docs/162862: DESTDIR environment variable setting is not correct for apache22

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 11:09:29 UTC 2011

On 26/11/2011 1:07 πμ, Mniyardfa Jotawski wrote:
> 2011/11/25 Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com
> <mailto:sonic2000gr at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi,
>

> Hi,
>
>     The example is not specific to apache22 or in fact any specific
>     web server. You don't have to use apache to serve FreeBSD web
>     pages. The /usr/local/www is used as a common preference (or hint)
>     as /usr is the largest partition on most FreeBSD systems following
>     the default installation scheme. You are supposed to know how to
>     install / configure a web server and adapt these instructions to
>     your specific installation.
>     IMHO, if we add apache specific information to this section we
>     will also have to add more sections describing  basic
>     configuration for serving the pages (like setting DocumentRoot,
>     encoding etc.). I believe these are out of scope for this document.
>

> I did agree with your opinion but since I specifically aimed to
> apache2, as I wrote in my Problem Description: , that requires that
> documents to serve should be in (or under) DocumentRoot which is
> /usr/local/www/apache22.  But once I follow suggestion in FDP Primer
> chapter 8.3, that installs all documents to /usr/local/www/data.  In
> this case, I have to create apache22 subdirectory under what DESTDIR
> environment variable points to and mv all data/ into that in order for
> my apache2 to start quietly.

What you would really need to do is change the DESTDIR shown in the
example to:

env DESTDIR=/usr/local/www/apache22 make install

As I said, the example is not to be taken literally.  DESTDIR should be
set to your own DocumentRoot (or whatever is called by the web server
used) and not copied directly from fdp-primer.

> Anyway, I also see that there will be an endless Notes to mention to
> the readers if we wrote to a  specific web-server like apache as you
> said me.
>
> May be that we put a few words to mention further  works after ``make
> all install''  for some specific server or all documents will have to
> be installed to ~/public_html/data otherwise.

Not necessary if DESTDIR is set correctly beforehand

> Many thanks indeed for your time.
>
> Apologized me for disturbing and apologized me for my English too.

You are not disturbing, you are trying to make FreeBSD better! Thanks!