Maybe something useful, maybe not

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sun May 1 16:32:19 UTC 2011

On 1 May 2011 12:20, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/1/11 2:34 AM, Chris Rees wrote:
>>> "The geli utility is different than gbde" or as
>>
>> Please, no!
>>

>>> "The geli utility is different from gbde"
>>
>> Yes, that's correct.
>>

> Any particular reason why this one over the previous?  I think the
> previous suggestion sounds more correct.

A lifetime of my English teacher father yelling at me, as well as [1]
for a start!

Basically 'different to' is sometimes used in British English (though
generally considered sloppy) and 'different than' is sometimes used in
American English (though only recently 'accepted', and only in limited
cases [2]).

Nails on a chalkboard.... Please change it! Patch at [3].

Chris

[1] http://www.uhv.edu/ac/newsletters/writing/grammartip2005.10.04.htm
[2] http://www.dailywritingtips.com/different-from-different-to-different-than/
[3] http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/doc-handbook-disks-different-to.diff