Things all ports mentors and potential mentees should know

Chris Rees utisoft at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:33:58 UTC 2011

On 5 March 2011 16:50, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:48:40PM +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
>> On 30 November 2010 15:08, Thomas Abthorpe <tabthorpe at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> > Greetings list
>> >
>> > This document was initially prepared by portmgr@ as a means of
>> > addressing issues around ports quality, in addition to informing
>> > mentors/mentees their duties and obligations within the ports tree.
>> >
>> > It has gone through some peer review among ports committers, integrating
>> > feedback from the community at large.  This is intended as a living,
>> > growing document to be updated and modified over time.  At some point
>> > in the future, it will likely get rendered for use on the WWW, in the
>> > meantime it is being tracked as a text file.
>> >
>> > Without further delay, I would like to present Mentoring Guidelines,
>> > feedback welcome!
>> >

>> <bits from http://people.freebsd.org/~portmgr/mentor_guidelines.txt.asc>
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was thinking of volunteering to render this in SGML to go
>> into the Committer's Guide... perhaps at the bottom of [1]?
>>
>> Is anyone working on this, or should I get started?
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/conventions.html
>>

> Hi Chris
>
> Thank you for your generous offer!  This is something on my long term
> todo list, and is not yet on the radar, so if you want to sgmlise the
> mentor guidelines, I would greatly welcome!
>
> Do your bit to render the doc, and I can work with you and maybe a doc
> committer to get it in.
>

> Thomas

Hi all,

I've just finished rendering the mentor/mentee guidelines; I've stuck
it in (for want of a better place) the Committer's Guide.

The source for my changes is:

http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/mentor_mentee_guidelines.diff

It's rendered here:

http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/comm.html#MENTOR.GUIDELINES

Does anyone have any comments so far?

Chris

PS Hope you're proud of me for learning how to format SGML the 'proper
way'; I may go back and fix the Tinderbox docs too to make them less
offensive when I have time...