Background color for caution blocks in the Handbook

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Mar 5 18:34:00 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 01:11:24PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> On 3/5/11 12:02 PM, Warren Block wrote:

> >> Generally, I think it's a good idea; the only question is what color
> >> to choose. Well, I don't really care that much, but make sure to not
> >> let this go into a bikeshed discussion ;-)
> >

> Yes, staying away from a bikeshed would be nice, though there is some
> painting involved here. ;)
>
> > Red is already used for something, notes I think.  Yellow for caution
> > seems appropriate.
>
> I was originally hesitant to use yellow to avoid causing visual pain
> when reading.  How about the colors I have here:
>
> http://www.glenbarber.us/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-hast.html

Some kind of thick yellow outline for the box, with think black outlines
for the yellow line, might work.  That might require doubling up on divs
around your warnings, though, which is more than just using CSS -- so you
should probably ignore this idea.

As long as the colors you've selected do not conflict with other uses of
the same colors, I'm happy with it.  Your version of the bikeshed looks
awesome to me.

I'm feeling too lazy to check on whether there are conflicting uses of
the same colors.