Fenestrating the Handbook memstick section

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 18 03:31:46 UTC 2011

On 01/17/2011 18:19, Glen Barber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 1/17/11 8:41 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>> Currently, the Handbook only shows how to create a FreeBSD install
>> memstick by using dd(1).  This leaves the Windows crowd unaddressed.
>>
>> I've done some searching for a Windows utility to write memory sticks
>> that is freely available and simple to use.
>>

> Thank you for looking into this, by the way.

>> Finally, there's https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer, which is
>> Image Writer for Windows or win32diskimager depending on how you look.
>> Done by the Ubuntu folks.  GPLV2.  Easy to use.  The best option I've
>> found so far.
>
> IMHO, this sounds like the easiest option for the end-user.

Agreed. I've used this, it's a nice tool.

>> The questions:
>>
>> If we recommend Image Writer for Windows, seems like it would be polite
>> to ask the project before taking advantage of their download capacity.
>> Or would it be better to have a copy hosted on a FreeBSD server?
>
> I'm curious what the general consensus is on this last question myself.

Well asking first is the bare minimum of politeness. And yes, I think we
should be prepared to host it ourselves, and commit to the maintenance
task that this implies.

Doug

			-- OK Go