RFC: New Handbook section - HAST

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Feb 27 16:47:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Daniel Gerzo wrote:

>  I have prepared a new Handbook section covering HAST.  The tech stuff
>  has been reviewed by Pawel and Mikolaj Golub, so from the tech point of
>  view it should be all correct.  Unfortunately, none of us is native
>  English speaker, therefore I would like to ask you guys to review the
>  language and styling of the new section.

Acronyms are supposed to be defined on their first use; not sure if
every instance of HAST needs to have acronym tags.

In any case, the first two paragraphs can be combined and hopefully
clarified.

<para>High availability is one of the main requirements in
   serious business applications and highly-available storage
   is a key component in such environments.  Highly Available
   STorage, or <acronym>HAST</acronym>, was developed by &a.pjd;
   as a framework which allows transparent storage of the same
   data across several physically separated machines connected
   by a TCP/IP network. <acronym>HAST</acronym> can be understood
   as a network based RAID1 (mirror), and is similar to the
   DRBD® storage system known from the GNU/&linux; platform.
   In combination with other high-availability features of &os;
   possible to build a highly-available storage cluster that is
   resistant to hardware failures.</para>