docs/163102: linprocfs mounted in wrong location in Handbook

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:48:38 UTC 2011

On 7/12/2011 8:38 μμ, Kevin Baxter wrote:

>> If it happens that 9.0 installs into /compat, we should either add
>> this to the documentation or file a PR so that either the linux_base
>> package or bsdinstall creates the link.
>> But from the current PR it seems the OP was using 8.2-RELEASE which
>> should not exhibit this.
>

> I'm using a ZFS root, so I used the wiki's RootOnZFS page to install
> (which doesn't use sysinstall, and doesn't mention /compat).

Ah, that explains it then.
We could add this info to the wiki or just change the Handbook to
/compat instead of /usr/compat since this will work in all cases anyway.
I'm more inclined to do the latter (maybe with an additional note on
custom installs).

> So is this a case of a non-standard installation being unsupported?
> Should the wiki be changed to include that symlink? Or should one of
> the install scripts be changed to make the symlink?

As it happens, bsdinstall on 9.0-RC3 still won't make the link so
/compat is again created as a directory rather than a symlink. The
default installation now uses a single UFS partition for everything
rather than the legacy slice with /tmp /usr/ /var etc. so the
probability of installing something on / and going out of disk space is
minimal (but not zero, as someone may still opt to use MBR partitions
and linux_base needs about 140 Mb of space). A PR for bsdinstall(8) for
this is probably a good idea.