patch to remove FreeBSD < 7 from the Handbook

Rene Ladan rene at freebsd.org
Mon Nov 22 11:42:02 UTC 2010

Op 21-11-2010 16:46, Benedict Reuschling schreef:
> Am 19.11.10 17:42, schrieb Rene Ladan:
>> Hi list,
>
>> Because FreeBSD 6.X will be officially unsupported after this month, I
>> made a patch [1] to streamline the Handbook so that it only supports
>> FreeBSD 7.X and up (assuming I did not miss anything).
>
>> Some more notes:
>> - old versions in historical context are left in tact.
>> - the section about KerberosIV has been removed, since it is applicable
>> to FreeBSD < 6 only
>> - the instructions to install SAP R/3 have been commented out for now,
>> since they were last tested on FreeBSD 4.3 and 4.5. Maybe these and the
>> other instructions about installing Linux applications should be
>> converted to articles?
>> - XFree86 has been removed from the text (except when in historical
>> context), only X.Org is supported these days.
>> - Some port paths have been updated (e.g. mail/pine -> mail/alpine)
>> - definitions for ctm-src-[5-8] have been added to mailing-lists.ent to
>> fully support updating FreeBSD version numbers in examples.
>
>> I put some comments for others to look at (screenshots for alpine and
>> updated instructions for MAC come to mind). And no, I will not commit
>> this before having received some feedback.
>
>> [1] http://people.freebsd.org/~rene/patches/handbook.diff
>> SIZE = 115079
>> SHA256 = 1efcd3dc978c9d969c7aff9576fb63a374208e108d906af3895d7c7f5d2a1ffd
>
>> Cheers,
>> Rene
>
> Thanks for all the work you did, Rene! I agree with you about Kerberos
> and SAP being too old to be relevant for the recent releases.

Do you suggest removing the SAP section altogether? It would save some
2000 lines...

> The only comment I have about your patch is that you added some
> SGML-comments in various places (starting with "rene"). If you want, you
> can add some of them to the handbook section of the DocIdeaList [2] for
> someone to work on them. That way, you can remove the comments from your
> patch before committing it, but keep the comments as a sort of todo-list
> in the wiki.

I'll wait if someone has a fix for the "simpler" ones, and put the rest
on the DocIdeaList.

> [2] http://wiki.freebsd.org/DocIdeaList

Regards,
Rene
--
http://www.rene-ladan.nl/

GPG fingerprint = ADBC ECCD EB5F A6B4 549F  600D 8C9E 647A E564 2BFC
(subkeys.pgp.net)