8.1-RELEASE Errata - Security Advisories

Crispy crispy at hushmail.com
Sat Jul 24 17:54:02 UTC 2010

Hi,

Apologies if I am asking a silly question, but I'm curious what
decides whether a security advisory gets listed in a release
errata. My question relates specifically to the following two
documents:

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.0R/errata.html
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/errata.html

The errata for 8.1 lists ten security advisories, all of which have
been corrected in 8.1-RELEASE, yet few of them even mention 8.1-
RELEASE in any form. On the other hand, the 8.0 errata lists only
three advisories, when it should contain many of the ones on the
8.1 page.

I do not mean to be critical if it is merely a case of documents
not being kept up to date, or a mistake being made in the 8.1
errata. However, reading the errata for 8.1 makes it look as if
there are a lot of security issues with the release already. I find
this a bit confusing.

Many thanks in advance for any clarification you're able to offer.

--
Chris