docs/147347: [patch][handbook] Request for comments on memstick install instructions

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jul 20 04:21:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Glen Barber wrote:

> The section is currently modeled after the floppy disk install section, which
> I did not remove as 7.3-RELEASE still contains the floppy disks on the CD;
> though I noted floppy disk images were not included in 8.0 and newer.
>
> I'd like to get feedback from the documentation community before filing a PR.

Filling the first 1K with zeros and labeling and newfs-ing the stick
should not be necessary, as the image will overwrite that anyway.

For the actual image, conv=sync should not be needed, and might as well
use a 64k buffer:

   <screen>&prompt.root; <userinput>dd if=&rel.current;-RELEASE-&arch.i386;-memstick.img of=/dev/<replaceable>da0</replaceable> bs=64k</userinput></screen>