cdrecord and burning disks on FreeBSD with filesize over 4GB

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Sat Jan 16 16:14:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 03:44:20PM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 01:13:18PM +0000, CeDeROM wrote:
> > Hello world!
> >
> > I have a remark regarding the DVD/BluRay recording, as described in
> > the Handbook, that it currently requires cdrtools-devel package first
> > installed instead of cdrtools, to be able to create filesystem image
> > that supports >4GB per-file-size. Current cdrtools package was
> > released in September 2004 and is outdated as hell, it does not
> > support "-iso-level 3" switch, so it propagates problems to all
> > related recording software like dvd+rw-utils, brasero, k3b, dvdtk,
> > etc...
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-dvds.html
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
> >
> > Please take a look at comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc / cdrkit vs.
> > dvd+rw-tools and the dvd iso 4gb max filesize problem
> >
> > The author of the cdrtools suite is involved in the discussion and he
> > declares a new release soon, so the problem might be solved, however I
> > think that it is good idea to add this information about
> > cdrtools-devel package into Handbook documentation, in case of future
> > troubles with cdrtools releases.
> >

> We can add a note to the Handbook but it'd a better idea to have the fix in
> default cdrtools port, I mean the one used by all burning applications.
>
> I let marius@ (the port maintainer) choosing the best solution.

Patching cdrtools is a complicated topic as the author is very strict
about the license so it typically means creating an unsupported fork
which needs to be compiled with -DSOURCE_MODIFIED etc. Backporting
features to 2.01 also isn't easily possible as for most parts it's
GPL in 2.01 versus CDDL in 2.01.01. As long a the release engineering
depends on a working mkisofs I'm also reluctant to change the version
tracked by sysutils/cdrtools to the alpha releases. If a port requires
features from 2.01.01 it should just depend on sysutils/cdrtools-devel
explicitly. There are some differences in pkg-plist files of the two
cdrtools ports which should make this actually possible.

Marius