cdrecord and burning disks on FreeBSD with filesize over 4GB

CeDeROM tomek.cedro at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 15:54:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Marius Strobl
<marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
>> We can add a note to the Handbook but it'd a better idea to have the fix in
>> default cdrtools port, I mean the one used by all burning applications.
>>
>> I let marius@ (the port maintainer) choosing the best solution.
>
> Patching cdrtools is a complicated topic as the author is very strict
> about the license so it typically means creating an unsupported fork
> which needs to be compiled with -DSOURCE_MODIFIED etc. Backporting
> features to 2.01 also isn't easily possible as for most parts it's
> GPL in 2.01 versus CDDL in 2.01.01. As long a the release engineering
> depends on a working mkisofs I'm also reluctant to change the version
> tracked by sysutils/cdrtools to the alpha releases. If a port requires
> features from 2.01.01 it should just depend on sysutils/cdrtools-devel
> explicitly. There are some differences in pkg-plist files of the two
> cdrtools ports which should make this actually possible.

Thank you Marius, my opinion is the same. I will try to ask author of
the cdrtools for some explict date of the new release.

Marc - I still think there is a need to add info about "-iso-level 3"
and the "-udf -iso-level 3" switch of mkisofs to the Handbook, as this
option allows burning files with per-file-size limit >4GB and use
level 3 of the ISO-9660. This option must be applied to mkisofs and
dvd+rw-tools, neverthless of the mkisofs release, so giving this hint
explictly in a Handbook will help commandline users. The other thing
is that it works only in releases older than 2.01.01aXXX and should
work with nearest stable release.

Please follow discussion on the usenet - there are all of the details
necessary to acknowlege my point of view.

Best regards,
Tomek Cedro

--
CeDeROM, http://www.tomek.cedro.info