Comment on section 24.7.5

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 08:56:32 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Harald Servat <redcrash at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  today I did my first and successful "update from source" of my FreeBSD
> box. However, I'd like to comment you that I found a tricky part when
> issuing make installworld because I had my /tmp partition mounted with the
> option "noexec". That made make command prevent installing the new system.
> When I turned that option off from /etc/fstab and remounted the /tmp
> partition, then installworld worked as a charm.
>
>  Could be a nice addition to section 24.7.5 a note with a text like "make
> sure that your /tmp partition allows executing programs or /etc/fstab does
> not disallow executing programs" ?
>
> Thank you for your work & merry xmas!
> --

Such a change makes the computer very vulnerable to malicious attacks with
respect to security . Therefore , it may be useful also to add the following
sentence :

Such a change should only be made to systems which they are not exposed to
public access for security reasons .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk