Documentation about jumpstart or similar

egoitz at ramattack.net egoitz at ramattack.net
Mon Nov 30 09:09:12 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have been looking for some more or less updated documentation about
freebsd unattended installation. I have get it working by using the
following howto from the following url :

http://www.dustingram.com/wiki/Creating_a_FreeBSD_PXE_Network_Boot_Server

This guide is done for i386 arch although I have it working for a
unattended installation server for freebsd amd64 because you can more or
less know wich step should be changed :

fetch
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/7.2/7.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

By an amd64 download and :

cp /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.hints /usr/local/freebsd7/boot/device.hints

by :

cp /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC.hints
/usr/local/freebsd7/boot/device.hints

I have tried to use the freebsd handbook procedure but I am not been able
to find floppy images so I started checking more and then find this guide
in the commented url.

Now I have three questions basically :

- Is there in people.freebsd.org or other place some official updated
guide of doing this freebsd unattended installation server?

- Else... has this guide some step to improve or correct becuase of it's
mistake?..

- The changes I applied for amd64 arch are ok (although I'm pretty sure
yes)?.

Thanks a lot for all mates.
Bye!!