Programmers' Guides

Kinsella, Ray ray.kinsella at intel.com
Tue Nov 17 17:46:56 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am the author of two practical papers on debugging FreeBSD Kernel code.
The first paper was presented at EuroBSD Con 2009. The second is published
on the Intel website (oss.intel.com). Both papers are available on
oss.intel.com, and are both substantial pieces of work.

The first paper Profiling and Debugging the FreeBSD* Kernel deals with
resolving performance problems in FreeBSD Kernel code. This will be of
practical interest to anyone creating FreeBSD Kernel code. I give a
practical example of a misbehaving driver and show how to resolve the
problem with FreeBSD's Pmcstat and supporting tools.

http://software.intel.com/sites/oss/pdfs/profiling_debugging_freebsd_kernel_
321772.pdf

The second paper, Debugging Buffer Overruns in the FreeBSD Kernel deals with
memory overruns in FreeBSD Kernel code. Again this will be of practical use
to anyone developing FreeBSD Kernel code. I give practical examples of
debugging buffer overruns on the stack and on the heap, and show how to
resolve them with tools built into the FreeBSD Kernel.

http://software.intel.com/sites/oss/pdfs/debugging_buffer_overruns_322486.pd

Would it be possible to add these papers to the FreeBSD Handbook's
Programmers' Guides section?

Thanks

Ray Kinsella