Dual Booting Ubuntu Linux & FreeBSD using the new Grub2

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 1 21:11:27 UTC 2009

Ryan Wolf wrote:
> To the Ubuntu & FreeBSD Documentation Folks:
>
> I spent all day trying to figure this out all because there isn't
> proper documentation in books or on the internet on it, and no one's
> documentation is up to date yet. After I figured it out, thought I
> would put together a document so that others won't have to strain as
> hard as I did just installing two operating systems that don't talk to
> each other to well. I hope Ubuntu decides to have more support for
> access to BSD partitions, as it doesn't seem to support it too well at
> the moment.
>
> Enjoy the document guys. It's my first time writing one, so I hope it
> helps.
>
> ~ Ryan
That is a nice looking document, Ryan.  One of the Ubuntu Documentation
contributors, drs305, has written (and been updating) a wiki page on
Grub2, which you can find here [1].  It is geared toward Ubuntu users
who have Grub2 installed from Ubuntu, but a lot of the basics should be
applicable to FreeBSD as well.  You are welcome to expand on the wiki
page, or if you host your guide on a FreeBSD site, please let us know.
I don't believe the existing wiki page outlines multibooting in much
detail yet, so your knowledge in this field would be very helpful.

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

Cheers,
-Connor