Comment/correction to handbook about "mail trouble"

Nicolai Schlenzig nicolai at schlenzig.dk
Wed Mar 18 15:28:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I read this page hoping it could solve my problem with mail on a jailed
environment:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/mail-trouble.html

But, this merely quotes the sendmail FAQ and states that sendmail.cw
changed to local-host-names.

My problem is (was) I want to be able to send mail from base system to a
mail domain hosted on a jailed system.

My base system naturally have all IPs (including the mail jail one), so I
would get something like:
Mar 18 14:56:35 home sm-mta[55112]: n2IDuZFJ055110: SYSERR(root): MX list
for confighell.com. points back to home.confighell.com
Mar 18 14:56:35 home sm-mta[55112]: n2IDuZFJ055110: n2IDuZFJ055112: DSN:
MX list for confighell.com. points back to home.confighell.com

But I fixed it by putting:
confighell.com smtp:[10.1.2.3]

Inside /etc/mail/mailertable and remake db (and restart sendmail).

For people using jailed environment, I think this info is very valuable. I
have spent almost 1h findind out the right solution.
If this _is_ the right
solution. At least it makes my stuff work.

I just need to get system mails from cron/root, so adding 1 domain was
enough. I could of course copy "local-host-names" from the mail jail system
to have all domains available, but no need so far.

I hope this can help you making the docs even better.

I have made an entry on my own page if you need more details:

http://confighell.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sendmail#MX_list_for_confighell_com_points_back_to_home_confighell_com

Thanks

 - Nicolai