Updates for handbook/network-ipv6.html

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun Mar 8 14:33:52 UTC 2009

regarding:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-ipv6.html

I see a number of 'mistakes', eg using global IPv6 addresses, while this
is documentation and thus 2001:db8::/32 should be used for IPv6 and for
IPv6 one should use 192.0.2.0/24.

it also mentions:
"::00:xx:xx:xx:xx 	96 bits 	embedded IPv4 	The lower 32 bits are the
IPv4 address. Also called “IPv4 compatible IPv6 address”"

These have been deprecated.

"fec0:: - fef:: 	10 bits 	site-local"
which have also been deprecated quite some time ago.
Currently one would use Unique Local Address (RFC3513) for that:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unique_local_address
a pointer to http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space is maybe
appropriate there.

Also it mentions "SixXS offers tunnels with end-points all around the
globe." but as https//www.sixxs.net/forum/?msg=setup-994088 shows, some
people think no client is needed for heartbeat & AYIYA tunnels, which
btw work like a charm on dynamic links. AICCU is not always needed as
proto-41 static tunnels don't really need it.

A link to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers might
be good too.

the net/freenet6 port is most very likely superseded by their gw6c client.

Anybody working on this, or should I sent a diff or something?
(a link to the 'how we do docs' page would be handy in that case ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen