FreeBSD Jumpstart Guide

Lazaro Daniel Salem SALEM at StatoilHydro.com
Tue Mar 3 15:15:11 UTC 2009

Hi!

In this very nice article

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html

it is said:

Warning!!: This procedure will make the "Server" both insecure and
dangerous, it is best to just keep the "Server" on its own hub and not
in any way accessible by any machines other than the "Clients".
<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/article.html>

I assume exporting NFS to the whole (sub)network and running tftp makes
the system more vulnerable though I am not sure I remember all the
details. It would help me to know more specifically what is vulnerable
so we can think of measures to make teh system configuration less
vulnerable when a single hub is not an option.
I am thinking of what can be done on systems like FreeNAS (FreeBSD 6.4
based) now that they have included tftp service as an option.

I thought I could use the scheme described in this document to netboot
thin clients from the file server at home...
I would appreciate if you could expand specifically on the
vulnerabilities so one can think of solutions.

Thanks for this project. Though  not that active anymore, I am sold to
FreeBSD since 3.x.

Cheers,
Lazaro D. Salem

reply if possible to lazaro.d.salem at gmail.com