where to define an alternative install location

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 22 13:42:07 UTC 2009

Hi Chen,

You wrote:
> When I tried to look inside the doc source
> dir/share/mk/doc.install.mk whose name suggests that I can define
> variable there, variable defined in that seemed not working at all
> there.

As far as I know, hacking .mk files directly is not a recommended
method.  Make variables and the /etc/make.conf should be used.

> if this is mentioned in handbook, that would be a lot simpler for
> people who don't know about it yet.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

> (how) Can I build my doc in one machine and install on a remote box
> running httpd server?

Well, an NFS between the two machines could be set up.  I am not an
expert in this topic, but it might work in my opinion.

You can find more information about building and installing web site and
documentation in the FDP Primer [1], and you can read about NFS in the
Handbook [2].  The original idea could also be found there [3].

(Hm, a topic for yet another tentative subsection in the Handbook :))

:g

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/fdp-primer/the-website.html
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-nfs.html
[3] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/small-lan.html