docs/130364: Man page for top needs explanation of CPU states

Dan Mahoney danm at prime.gushi.org
Sun Jan 11 06:40:03 UTC 2009

>Number:         130364
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Man page for top needs explanation of CPU states
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD prime.gushi.org 6.4-STABLE FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE #0: Thu Dec 4 13:23:40 EST 2008 danm at prime.gushi.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PRIME6 i386

The top manpage lists at its end some FreeBSD notes, that describe what the various memory states are (wired cache buf etc).
It's a useful piece of information.  However, the other information displayed in top (cpu states) have no such explanations.

>How-To-Repeat:

top

man top

>Fix:

I would suggest a correction but I'm not so sure I understand the subtleties of the various states well enough to document
them in a definitive manner.