[Fwd: Re: Would it be useful/appropriate to remove news about betas and RCs?]

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 9 08:41:37 UTC 2009

This is sort of along the lines I was thinking, especially about the front
page, and I think that keeping all of the news on the news flash page is
also a good idea.

I'd like to suggest however that in the RSS feed that they are not
valuable. If I'm looking at the RSS feed as my source of news about
FreeBSD it's not really relevant to me that there were N betas/RCs prior
to the release, I just want to see the news about the release.

I'm not suggesting that the information about betas and RCs is not
valuable, I just think we need to differentiate between "news" and
"history."

Doug

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> Relaying Murray's answer, as it only reached me I guess...

They certainly belong still in the rss feed and full newsflash page but we
could be doing more intelligent filtering for the limited screen real
estate on the main page. We could omit the rc and beta announcements on
the main page once a release is out, or omit results older than n months
even if they are among last k results for that feed.

Murray