[RFC] A Handbook Section on Updating the Documentation Set

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 7 09:24:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:48:07 +0200
Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ben Kaduk wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> There is a note in the synopsis of the 'Updating and Upgrading FreeBSD'
> >> chapter that cvsup may be substituted by csup in the chapter's instructions.
> >> Currently, cvsup has a "cvs mode" used to replicate entire repositories (and
> >> not simply performing a checkout as csup does). This is mostly used by
> >> developers though, and most handbook instructions use cvsup exactly like
> >> csup.
> >> AFAIK, there is an effort to introduce this functionality in csup too. CVSup
> >> will then become redundant. Until then it will unfortunately keep causing
> >> confusion to lots of people.
> >>

> > Actually, the repository mode for csup hit the CURRENT
> > tree a couple days ago ...
> >
> > -Ben Kaduk
> >

> Thanks! Will this be MFCed? It would be nice to have in 7-STABLE.

I seen that commit; however, I would rather see it somewhere
other than just CURRENT.  Especially if we will be changing
the recommendation of using cvsup in favor of csup.  It has
come a long way, and I use it, but apparently it is not yet a
drop in replacement.  Until then, this, and the PR about it
(something.README?) should remain as-is.  :)

Thanks!

--
Tom Rhodes