[RFC] A Handbook Section on Updating the Documentation Set

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 6 19:24:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 20:36:31 +0000, Frank Shute <frank at shute.org.uk> wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 07:31:56PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 21:29:48 +0100, Gabor PALI <pgj at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> http://people.freebsd.org/~pgj/patches/2008/12/27/updating-upgrading-documentation.patch.diff
>>
>> Ping...  Any news about this patch?
>
> Hi Giorgos,
>
> If you remember, you asked me if I could get the page I wrote about
> using csup to update the docs:
>
> http://www.shute.org.uk/misc/freebsd_uptodate.html
>
> into some sort of state to be incorporated into the updating section
> of the handbook.

Hi Frank,

"Yes", and if you can review the existing patch by Gabor Pali :)

> I've built the docs with Gabor's above patch applied & have started
> work on rejigging that section.
>
> You can see how far I've got. I've only done one page (which is bound
> to change) & largely worked on the css, so it's easier to mark-up into
> sgml:
>
> http://www.shute.org.uk/freebsd/synopsis.html

Don't spend too much time tweaking the CSS style.  We don't often make
changes in that area.

> I've made an executive decision to change mentions of cvsup to csup
> where appropriate since it's in base.

Rene Ladan (added to the Cc: list) wanted to write about csup too, if my
memory does not fool me.  Gabor and Rene had a discussion about this, so
before you spend a lot of time writing a long description of csup, maybe
it would be a good idea to talk to Gabor and Rene.

I'm glad that you are willing to help with the doc updating section.  We
can always use a bit of help with the documentation :-)

Cheers,
Giorgos