svn commit: r186737 - head/sbin/geom/class/virstor

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 4 17:14:58 UTC 2009

On 2009.01.04 17:48:42 +0100, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> Hello Christian,
>
> Sunday, January 4, 2009, 4:58:32 PM, you wrote:
>
> > While using .Ex is good, collapsing EXIT STATUS into DIAGNOSTICS is not.
> > EXIT STATUS is a standard section in our manpages and it's orthogonal to
> > DIAGNOSTICS.
>
> I am fine to revert this part, however I have trimmed this section
> just because I didn't see it listed in the PAGE STRUCTURE DOMAIN
> section of the mdoc(7) manual page.
>
> Interestingly, it lists the DIAGNOSTICS section and explicitly
> says that .Ex macro should be used there.
>
> If is it still preferred to revert this change, I would like to see
> this section added to the mdoc(7). Thoughts?

I really like having EXIT STATUS as a seperate section so I can
quickly find out what a program can return with.

The example(1) (/usr/share/examples/mdoc/example.1) does have EXIT
STATUS.

I think mentioning it in mdoc(7) seems like a good idea, but you
should probably get ru@'s input on that.

PS. ping(1) uses RETURN VALUES section instead which should probably
be changed.

--
Simon L. Nielsen