docs/127253: Error in Handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-ddd.html

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 9 21:10:08 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR docs/127253; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-doc at freebsd.org
Cc: Fritz Katz <frtzkatz at yahoo.com>, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: docs/127253: Error in Handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-ddd.html
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:22:00 -0400

 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-gdb.html

 >   and the /var/crash/vmcore.0 is recognized.
 >
 >   # cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AAART/
 >   # kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.0
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 >
 > Read the handbook and attempt to follow it's instructions.
 > >Fix:
 > Replace the offending line in the Handbook with:
 >
 >   # ddd --debugger kgdb kernel.debug /var/crash/vmcore.0

 I think your updates are correct.  The old usage is from FreeBSD 4.x when one
 used 'gdb -k' rather than 'kgdb'.  Crash dumps on 4.x also left a kernel
 image in /var/crash which explains the /var/crash/kernel.0 reference.

 --
 John Baldwin