sane configuration in Freebsd 7

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 9 16:58:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 12:35:06PM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:59:04AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Marc

>>>  	Sorry.  I need to be more specific.  "sane-find-scanner" will
>>> not find a usb scanner if:
>>>
>>> BURP:#device            uscanner        # Scanners
>>>
>>>  	is not remarked out in your kernel config file OR if you load
>>> the kld uscanner.  Sane uses usblib and usblib can't find the scanner
>>> if uscanner is loaded.
>>>  	Yes, you have to build and install a new kernel to do this as
>>> uscanner is in the generic kernel:
>>>  	GENERIC:device          uscanner        # Scanners
>>>
>> [...]
>>
>> % sane-find-scanner -q
>> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x220e) at /dev/uscanner0
>>
>> % kldstat -v | grep scanner
>> 267 uhub/uscanner
>>
>> I can reproduce the same behavior on another machine (both of them run a
>> kernel with uscanner support in).
>>
>> You should check your configuration and maybe see if your scanner does
>> not need you to load a firmware.
>>
> 	Please attach your `uname -a`.  As I've noted I'm running
> FreeBSD burp.bogstomp.org 7.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE #4: Mon
> Sep  8 16:11:35 EDT 2008
> root at burp.bogstomp.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BURP  i386
>
> 	/dev/uscanner0 is not being created on my installation.  From
> the manpages (excepting those that were modified) sane appears to not
> want uscanner as it is presently configured to use usblib which uses
> ugen*.  Ugen* can't see the scanner with uscanner in the kernel or
> loaded as a module on my installation.

Okay, so with that information combined with the dmesg output you
provided earlier (not quoted above), it's safe to say the problem here
is that your scanner is not recognised by uscanner(4), and needs code
written or USB device IDs added to the list to get support for it.
Devices which aren't recognised often show up as ugen(4) devices.

This thread should definitely be moved to freebsd-usb.