sane configuration in Freebsd 7

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 9 11:32:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:59:04AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>> I'm not sure to understand you.  What do you mean by "sane-find-scanner
>> won't find a scanner if uscanner is in the kernel" ?
>>
> 	Sorry.  I need to be more specific.  "sane-find-scanner" will
> not find a usb scanner if:
>
> BURP:#device            uscanner        # Scanners
>
> 	is not remarked out in your kernel config file OR if you load
> the kld uscanner.
>
> Sane uses usblib and usblib can't find the scanner
> if uscanner is loaded.
> 	Yes, you have to build and install a new kernel to do this as
> uscanner is in the generic kernel:
> 	GENERIC:device          uscanner        # Scanners

> 	Ah.  This is true.  However uscanner is a local modification.
> As far as I can determine linux used a different kernel device for
> scanners (though I may be wrong).  Regardless, with the uscanner
> references omitted the man page is correct in stating the scanner kernel
> device interferes with usblib discovery of the scanner.  Usblib uses
> ugen.  Uscanner just gets in the way.

I think what Geoffrey is trying to say is the following:

When the uscanner driver (either built into the kernel, or loaded as
kernel module) is used, it causes sane-find-scanner (usblib) to
fail detection of a scanner.  Meaning, uscanner is getting in the
way of the detection.

This is a problem because "device uscanner" is enabled by default
in the GENERIC kernel, which means sane-find-scanner will fail unless
you rebuild your kernel with uscanner disabled/removed.