docs/129281: Audio CD ripping/duplication shouldn't recommend the use of non endianness safe dd/burncd commands

Szilveszter Adam sziszi at bsd.hu
Sun Nov 30 10:10:23 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 09:04:14PM +0000, Yuri wrote:
> My proposition:
> Sub-section "ATAPI Drives" should be deleted.
> Title of "SCSI Drives" should be changed to "SCSI/ATAPI Drives".
>
> ATAPI drives are exposed as SCSI devices so there should be no problem.

I do not particularly care for the self-advertisement of Joerg for his
own software, but at least the last sentence is not true. On FreeBSD,
exposing ATAPI devices as SCSI is just a choice that the user is free to
make (or not). The use of the atapicam module or kernel option is just
that, entirely optional. Also, atapicam may have at least as many
problems with particular hardware/software combinations as burncd, so
YMMV. I for one use burncd and I am perfectly happy with it.

Note: One other reason people used to prefer "cdrecord" was that it was
a standard staple on linux, and so a lot of pretty GUI frontends were
written for it that do little more than call cdrecord with the correct
arguments.  For me, this is not important, burning from the command line
just works(TM).

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM