A patch for the 'geom' chapter

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:37:44 UTC 2008

Gabor PALI wrote:
> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> After our discussion, here again is the "second take" of this patch [..]
>> I tried to address most points, but feel free to send more comments and
>> fixes.
>>

> I hardly find any problems with your proposed patch, it is a really nice
> work.  I am not in GEOM (however, I should really try these things some
> time), so I have just checked it from the side of markups.

Which I really count on you to do :)

> I think I found a subtle inconsistency only: initially, you refer to the
> geom_stripe kernel module without the .ko extension, but after then you
> refer to geom_journal with a .ko extension.  I think you may simply omit
> the extension in the latter case too.

Cheers, I'll have a look at this.

> Sorry for my bad habit in advance, but I think I can tell more about
> this patch when it gets committed and I have to translate it.
>
> By the way, I agree with Tom regarding the use of passive voice, it is
> very common in technical English.  In Hungarian, we also employ the
> mentioned 'courtesy' plural, however I am trying to avoid talking to
> anybody in the translations.  Passive voice in our tongue is not so
> natural (however people will understand it), so sometimes I have to do
> some tricks when translating it.  I usually fight against the different
> "-isms" in the translations, I try to suit the sentences to the actual
> language context.  (Well, sometimes it a "sport" for me to speak in
> Hungarian without addressing anybody...)

In Greek sometimes the passive voice sounds completely unnatural. I am
now used to switching styles when needed. Besides in Greek we don't have
the too many "you"s problem, since the verbs change form according to
person, hence these references are not needed.

> As far as I remember, only the welcome message in the Handbook
> translation is (more or less) personal, all the other sentences are
> composed in a strict technical manner.  Hopefully, there are only a few
> schemes to be adapted to Hungarian, after then the entire translation
> process could be done without too much thinking.  That is why it is kind
> of a relaxation technique for me.
>

> Nice work!

Thanks for the review ;)